Care and Cleaning
Proper cleaning of your furniture ensures its beauty and longevity. We recommend simply using a damp cloth to clean your furniture. Never use a silicone based polish. We carry Guardsman Furniture Polish which is recommended for fine wood finishes. Every effort should be made to avoid prolonged exposure to direct sunlight. Close proximity to heat sources such as radiators, heating ducts or wood stoves may cause the wood to dry out and subsequently split. Care should taken to place your furniture accordingly.
Maintain humidity in your home between 35 to 55 percent to protect against shrinking and cracking or expansion. Basements with high humidity should be avoided. You may choose to dehumidify or humidify depending on your environment. Extreme temperature and humidity changes will ruin wood.
Following these wood care guidelines, along with common sense, will ensure that your fine, solid wood furniture will become the heirloom of future generations.
Furniture Care Tips
- Keep furniture out of direct sunlight.
- Avoid placing directly in front of or underneath windows.
- Blot up spills immediately.
- To move furniture, lift rather than drag to avoid stressing joints.
- Rotate your accessories every once in a while.
- Avoid placing furniture near heat sources and do not store in damp areas.
The Benefits of Our Finish
Confused with all the different types of finishes and the benefits or disadvantages of each one? Here, we’ll try to make it a little clearer what kind of finish we use and why it’s superior.
Coating comparison between lacquers and conversion varnish
- A coating commonly used on furniture today. Lacquer does not offer much durability or moisture resistance.
- Conversion Varnish:
- A coating that provides superior moisture resistance. A very high quality coating that will provide long life and durability to your furniture. Conversion varnish is a coating that is durable enough to last the life of your furniture.
A comparison between the two types of products. (Scale of 1 to 10.)
1 = severe effect 10 = no effect
To clean the finish is very simple. Just wipe your furniture with a soft damp cloth. Use a mild detergent, non-wax polish or cleaner. Avoid the use of silicone polishes as they may damage the wood finish if used over a period of time.