Keeping Children Safe From Falling Furniture
Frightening new statistics were released recently: every two weeks, a child dies from falling furniture. Every 45 minutes , a child arrives in the ER to be treated for injuries also obtained through falling furniture; seven out of ten of these injuries occur in children under age five.
Every piece of Amish Originals furniture is built with sturdiness and longevity in mind, but as parents ourselves, we all know that when a determined toddler puts their mind to it, pretty much anything is possible.
Luckily, with a few very basic safety precautions, your family can be safe from these preventable tragedies.
What you can do:
- Use braces, brackets or wall straps to secure top-heavy furniture to the wall. These can be found at any home improvement or hardware store.
- Install stops on dresser or cabinet drawers, which will keep drawers from being pulled completely open; when multiple drawers are open, it can cause a weight shift that could affect the stability of the dresser and prime it for a fall.
- Rearrange items so that the heaviest things are located on the lowest shelves or in the lowest drawers.
- Keep attractive items (such as a remote control, tablet, phone, candy or toys) away from locations where children might be tempted to climb or reach for them.
Childproofing you furniture is as important as covering light sockets, and keeping household chemicals and medications inaccessible, but many parents—grandparents!—overlook this step in making their home kid safe.
If you have questions, we’re always happy to help—just ask any of the Amish Originals team!
From our home to yours,
- Jason and Kelly F are the winners of our $100 g...
- We want to give a big shout out to our December...
- In the heart of Uptown Westerville, Ohio, with ...
- Congratulations to Jane Enneking! You are our $...
- Those words aren’t found together often b...